• Visit
  • Apply
  • Give

Maintaining Good Academic Standing

You must maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average (GPA) to maintain good academic standing. A minimum average of a C, or a GPA of 2.0 in all work taken at the University of Delaware, is required for the baccalaureate degree.

Calculating GPA

To calculate your cumulative grade point average (GPA), divide all quality points earned by all quality hours completed (the total number of credits). These numbers are found on your unofficial transcript.

For instance, a graduating senior with 332 quality points and 120 quality hours has a 2.77 cumulative GPA.

You can use this GPA Calculator to determine your GPA.

Quality Points

The quality points for each course is the quality point value – see point values listed below – multiplied by the number of credits for that course.

For example, an “A” for a 3-credit course equals 12 quality points.

Letter Grade Quality Points
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
F 0.00
Z 0.00


Quality Point Deficit

Quality point deficits are used to determine scholastic standing.


If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, you will be placed on probation (provided the quality point deficit is less than 13.00).

While on probation – with between 1 and 12.99 deficit points –  you may not register for more than 14 credit hours, excluding military science, physical education activity, and SkilMod courses.


If you have a quality point deficit of 13.00 or more, you will be dismissed from the University pending review by the Committee on Undergraduate Records and Certification (CURC).

If you are dismissed for academic reasons, you may take courses through UD’s Professional and Continuing Studies to eliminate your quality point deficits, which is needed for readmission.

Quality Point Deficit and Surplus Table

Grades of C+ or higher reduce deficit points by the number indicated. Grades of C- or lower increase deficit points by the number indicated.

1 Credit 2 Credits 3 Credits 4 Credits
A +2.000 +4.000 +6.000 +8.000
A- +1.667 +3.333 +5.000 +6.667
B+ +1.333 +2.667 +4.000 +5.333
B +1.000 +2.000 +3.000 +4.000
B- +0.667 +1.333 +2.000 +2.667
C+ +0.333 +0.667 +1.000 +1.333
C  0.000  0.000  0.000  0.000
C- -0.333 -0.667 -1.000 -1.333
D+ -0.667 -1.333 -2.000 -2.667
D -1.000 -2.000 -3.000 -4.000
D- -1.333 -2.667 -4.000 -5.333
F -2.000 -4.000 -6.000 -8.000


The Pass/fail Grading Option

Some courses are offered only on a pass/fail basis. You also have the option to take one letter-graded course per semester as a pass/fail course. You may not take more than 24 pass/fail credits (excluding those courses that are only offered pass/fail). A course taken on a pass/fail basis may only be used as a free elective within the business majors.

You might take a course pass/fail to lighten your workload or if you are experiencing academic difficulty – but can definitely pass the course.

Even when you complete a course on a pass/fail basis, the instructor will assign a regular grade. If you have earned a grade of A, B, C or D (plus or minus), a grade of “P” will be listed on your transcript. The credit hours are earned as free electives, but no grade is calculated in your GPA. If you receive a grade of F, it will be recorded as a failing grade on the transcript and the failing grade is calculated in the GPA.

You may change your grading status until the academic penalty deadline using your UDSIS account. You should always check with your advisor before you change a class to pass/fail.

Auditing a Course

You have the option to enroll in any course as an auditor or listener. Auditing or listening means that you are registered for the course, but you will not receive any credit hours towards your degree nor will a grade be calculated in your GPA.

Class attendance is required, but you do not have to complete assignments or take exams unless you want to. Registering as an auditor is considered the same as registering for credit for the purpose of determining course load and tuition. A final grade of “L” will appear on the transcript. Professors have the option to submit a grade of “LW,” or listener withdrawn, if you stop attending the class.

You might choose this grading option if you want to attend a course to learn the course material, but do not need to earn the credit hours towards your degree. This is also a good option when experiencing academic difficulty. If you are in danger of failing a course but will have to take it again, auditing is a good opportunity to prepare yourself to retake it.

You may change your grading status to auditor until the academic penalty deadline using your UDSIS account. You should always check with your advisor before you change a class to audit.

Contact Us

Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

General inquiries: lerner-advise@udel.edu

Request for excused absences: lernerexcusedabsence@udel.edu

Phone: 302-831-4369

Fax: 302-831-0708

Schedule an appointment