Lerner College Ceremonies Saturday, June 1, 2019
Location: Bob Carpenter Center, 631 South College Ave., Newark, DE 19716
Please check the University website for more details on Saturday morning’s University Commencement.
Convocation will be webcast live on June 1, 2019, from 12:30 and 3:30 p.m. at www.udel.edu/udlive.
What’s the difference between Commencement and Convocation?
Lerner College convocations are personalized graduation ceremonies for Lerner. All degree candidates’ names are called and they walk across stage while being recognized, unlike at the UD Commencement ceremony.
Ceremony 1 at 12:30 p.m. for:
- Entrepreneurship & Technology Innovation
- Hospitality Industry Management
- Hotel, Restaurant & Institutional Management
- International Business Studies
- Operations Management
- Sport Management
Ceremony 2 at 3:30 p.m. for:
- Financial Planning & Wealth Management
- Management Information Systems
Timeline, Ceremony 1
|11:30 a.m.||Doors open for Ceremony 1. Guests will enter through the glass doors to the lobby.|
|12 p.m.||Degree candidates must be assembled in the designated area.|
|12:30 p.m.||Ceremony begins.|
|2:00 p.m.||Ceremony ends.|
Timeline, Ceremony 2
|2:30 p.m.||Doors open for Ceremony 2. Guests wil enter through the main entrance.|
|3 p.m.||Degree candidates must be assembled in the designated area.|
|3:30 p.m.||Ceremony begins.|
|5:00 p.m.||Ceremony ends.|
Tickets are required for guests attending the ceremony. Graduates who are wearing caps and gowns do not need tickets.
GRADUATES – You must use your student ID number to register for tickets. When you select “REGISTER” a box will appear requesting a code – this is your student ID number. Please use YOUR name, YOUR UD email and YOUR student ID.
PARENTS – if you are registering for your student, you must use THEIR name and THEIR UD email. If the ticket reservation is under your name and/or email, it will be released and no tickets will be held.
Ticket Reservation for undergraduate convocation will open on Monday, April 8, 2019 at 8 AM and will close on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at 3 PM.
- You are reserving your tickets – Eventbrite is NOT your ticket. Please refer to your confirmation email with details about picking up your tickets.
- Your Eventbrite confirmation will say 8 AM for all ceremonies. This is the way the system is configured – if you chose the right ticket, you are registered for the right ceremony! 🙂
**If you are a double major with majors in both ceremonies, you may choose which ceremony you wish to attend. Both ceremonies are the same with the exception of the majors.
All tickets are free. You may reserve 5 tickets. Remaining tickets will be released on May 20, 2019 and will be available for pick up in the Lerner Event office located at 102 Purnell Hall.
Ticket Pick Up Schedule – tickets will be available to pick up at the Lerner Event Office located at 102 Purnell Hall on the days and hours listed below.You will need to pick up your tickets personally and bring your student ID
|Monday||May 6||9 a.m. – 3p.m.|
|Tuesday||May 7||9 a.m. – 3p.m.|
|Wednesday||May 8||9 a.m. – 3p.m.|
|Thursday||May 9||9 a.m. – 7p.m.|
|Friday||May10||9 a.m. – 3p.m.|
|Saturday||May11||9 a.m. – 1p.m.|
|Monday||May13||9 a.m. – 3p.m.|
|Tuesday||May14||9 a.m. – 3p.m.|
|Wednesday||May15||9 a.m. – 3p.m.|
|Thursday||May16||9 a.m. – 7p.m.|
|Friday||May17||9 a.m. – 3p.m.|
To reserve your free tickets, please visit: https://ugconvo2019.eventbrite.com. Instructions on how to reserve tickets are located on the Eventbrite registration site. If you have questions, please contact Lerner Events at email@example.com or 302-831-3850.
The Bob Carpenter Center is fully accessible with floor and near-floor seating, an elevator and accessible bathrooms on both floors. We have many families who bring elderly guests or guests with special needs. In order to accommodate everyone, we ask that each family designate one guest to sit with their family members who have special needs in the handicapped seating area. The rest of your party can sit nearby in non-handicapped seating.
Free parking and frequently running accessible shuttles are available at the STAR campus. Keep in mind that traffic will be heavier than usual, please plan accordingly. Shuttles will drop off guests near the Delaware Stadium and golf carts are available to bring your guests who may need assistance to the Bob Carpenter Center.
We are hoping for beautiful weather for the big day. Weather-related decisions will be made and communicated via email, social media and on this website.
Please advise your guests to dress appropriately. Unless there is lightning, the doors will remain closed until one hour before the ceremony. If it is raining, they will need to bring umbrellas and/or rain gear. If it is hot, they should dress accordingly and bring bottled water.
Accommodations and Restaurants
Traffic will be heavier than usual. Please plan accordingly if you are going for lunch in between Commencement and the 2nd Lerner College Convocation ceremony. There are no shuttles running from south campus to the Main campus on Saturday, June 1, 2019.
See http://www.campustravel.com/university/delaware/index.html for links to area hotels. Find a place to eat at http://enjoydowntownnewark.com/businesses/.
Information for Graduates
Who can Participate?
Students eligible to participate in the 2019 graduation ceremonies include those who have completed their degree in Fall 2018, Winter 2019 or who expect to complete in Spring 2019 or Summer 2019.
What to Wear
Cap & Gown
Order/pick up your cap and gown from the UD Bookstore located at 83 East Main Street. Their phone number is (302) 831-2637. Store hours are Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday 12 – 6 p.m. Order early and take it out of the bag immediately – it will be wrinkled! Do not wash it, just hang it up. If the wrinkles do not come out, use a cool iron.
Clothing & Accessories
If it’s warm or hot, wear lightweight clothes, no jackets. Men: the graduation gown looks best with a shirt and tie, rather than an open-necked shirt. Remember to shine your shoes since everyone will see them. Women: choose shoes that will allow you to be comfortable standing on hard, slick floors and walking up and down steps in front of a lot of people.
Bobby pins/safety-pins – please provide your own and/or bring some to share. You may want to bobby-pin your cap to your hair.
The Name Card
While you are in the holding area, you will be asked to pick up and review your name card. This card serves two purposes: to make sure your name is announced correctly and to provide the photographer a way to cross reference your photo. Carry the card with you; it will be collected before you cross the stage.
Career Survey – You will be asked to complete a career survey prior to convocation. Please look for an email from career services with directions on how and where to complete the survey.
Certificates, not Diplomas
When you cross the stage, the Dean will present you with a certificate, not a diploma. As you know, final exams run right up to graduation, so grades haven’t posted, degrees haven’t been cleared, and therefore, diplomas haven’t been printed. Starting in early June, the list of graduates will be sent to the printers. You should expect your official UD diploma to arrive in the US Mail approximately mid-July if you are a spring grad; late September for summer grads.
A professional photographer will be on hand for your big day! Photographers from GradImages will be taking a class photo on the steps of Old College just before the processional, and will also be taking action shots of you receiving your certificate from the Dean. The commercial photographer’s website is www.gradimages.com. The name card you fill out (see above) will go directly to GradImages and they will send your proofs via email.
What to Expect:
- We encourage you to arrive early; however, the doors to the Bob Carpenter Center will not be open until one hour before the start of the ceremony. It is imperative that you arrive on time.
- You can wait outside the Bob Carpenter Center with your guests until the doors open. At that time, you will enter the building through a side door which leads to the holding area. Your guests will enter through the front door of the Bob Carpenter Center and will proceed upstairs to find their seats. Those with special needs will see a staff member on the ground floor. Please do not linger with your guests outside.
- Gown check – prior to entering the building, you will be asked to unzip your graduation gown for a gown check.
- We will process into the arena from the holding area. You will be directed by ushers into your seat. Please remain standing until directed to sit. The National Anthem will be sung.
- The Departmental Awards will be presented, and an alum will present a short 10-12 minute speech.
- Next, we begin the procession of students across the stage. You’ll come forward by degree and hand your name card to the announcer, who will read your name as you cross the stage. You’ll shake hands with the Dean and faculty from your department, get your photo taken with the Dean, proceed across the stage and collect a small gift from the College. You’ll go down the steps, stop for a photograph, and be directed back around to your seat. All you have to do is smile and follow directions.
- Once all the degree recipients have crossed the stage, the Dean will adjourn the ceremony and we’ll begin recessingl out the front of the arena (towards the stage) – you will be directed by staff. Your guests will exit and meet you outside. Please designate a meeting spot in the parking lot.
Information for Families and Guests
Family members and guests are encouraged to arrive no later than one hour before the ceremony begins. The ceremonies begin promptly at their assigned times. Doors open one hour prior to the start of the ceremony.
- Graduates will say goodbye to guests outside. Please do not linger after the doors have opened.
- You will enter through the main doors and proceed through the lobby to the stairs on the left, which lead to the upper level. An elevator to the upper level is also available.
- Any bags carried in will be checked by security. No noisemakers like air horns or cowbells, or outside food or beverages will be allowed.
- We suggest you sit in a section of the arena closest to your graduates seating area. There will be signs indicating which side your graduate will be on.
The convocation ceremony will last approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
See the two attachments:
Restrooms in the Bob Carpenter Center are accessible and easy-to-find. Building and/or event staff can point you in the right direction. We ask that families and guests use the restrooms upstairs, to leave the restrooms on the ground level available for graduates and those in special seating.
Children who need a seat require a ticket; children who can sit on someone’s lap do not. The ceremony lasts about one hour and 30 minutes – please bring children something to eat and do while the ceremony is in progress. If a child is disruptive, we will ask to have someone in your family take him/her to the lobby or outside.
After the Ceremony
Guests will be asked to refrain from exiting until all degree candidates have recessed out of the arena. At that point, guests will be asked to exit by going up the stairs in the arena and exiting at the designated staircases. Guests who are in special seating may exit at ground level once degree candidates have finished the recessional.
Family members will meet their degree candidates outside the building rather than in the lobby area. Please designate a meeting spot in the parking lot.
Another convocation event may be held immediately following ours, and we appreciate your cooperation by leaving the Bob Carpenter Center promptly.