Graduation & Diplomas
Concentrations & Specializations
Transferring Credits Between Schools
Personal Business


What classes should I sign up for?

The Tier I core courses (ACCT 800, BUAD 820, BUAD 870, and ECON 503) are the best place for first-semester students to start. These courses are prerequisite courses for later MBA classes. Completing these courses first/early in your MBA program will enable you to keep moving forward as quickly as possible. Part-time students register for either one or two classes, while full-time students register for three or four. If you’re not sure how many courses you can handle, sign up for the maximum number, then drop one if you need to.

How do I request a course waiver?

Please visit the Course Waivers & Transfers page for further information.

When can I start registering for the next semester?

By logging into UDSIS, you can check your “Registration Appointment” which will tell you when to begin registering for classes.

When does registration close?

Registration closes when either the course fills to capacity or the free drop/add period ends for that respective semester/session.

How should I choose among several courses when I am scheduling my classes?

Always remember that the 10 core (required) classes are offered every fall and spring semester. Electives, on the other hand, are typically offered once a year or once every two years. Therefore, choose electives of interest when they are available since you can pick up the core class on a later semester.

Why aren’t all the classes offered in summer and winter sessions?

Because of study abroad and other teaching commitments on the part of the faculty, we cannot produce a full menu of classes for summer and winter sessions. The course offerings tend to change from year to year based on professor availability. It’s sometimes helpful to use an upcoming summer or winter session schedule to choose classes offered in that session, then look for other choices in the adjacent fall and spring.

I am trying to register for classes and UDSIS will not let me. What’s wrong?

Several reasons could cause UDSIS to deny registration. Some of the most likely are the following:

How do I find the right MBA classes?

Review the following to find the classes you need:

Missing Prerequisite

If you have a waiver for a course that serves as a prerequisite for the course you’re attempting to register for, access will be denied.


  • You’ve been given a course waiver for ACCT 800. When you attempt to register for BUAD 880 or FINC 850, UDSIS will block you out.
  • You were waived out of FINC 850, so UDSIS will block your attempts to register for any class in the FINC 850 series, such as 851, 852, etc.

Simply send a quick note to mba-registration@udel.edu with your full legal name, SID#, and the class/es you need.  Let us know you have a course waiver so we can quickly get you in the class.

Hold on Your Account

Check the status of your account via UDSIS or via Student Financial Services. Report any discrepancies to sfs-advisor@udel.edu. A clear, concise, polite email can do wonders. If you have a hold because of an unpaid balance or an immunization hold, we cannot help you register until you have taken care of those items with the appropriate office. To get registered, once any holds on your account have been cleared, send a brief email to mba-registration@udel.edu with your full legal name, student ID number (not your social security number), and your course requests in the following format: BUAD 870-051. The last three digits indicate the section number (specific day/time/location) you want. We will register you and send you an acknowledgment.

Graduation & Diplomas

I am graduating this semester. Whom do I have to tell?

You need to fill out the Application for Advanced Degree (AAD) and return it to the Graduate and Executive Programs Office. After you sign and attach the check ($50), payable to the University of Delaware), we’ll take it from there. We’ll verify the courses, get the signatures, then forward them to the Office of Graduate & Professional Education. Once we process your form, we’ll let you know that everything was OK or contact you if there is a question. The AAD is due at the start of your final semester.

I just finished my last course. Where is my diploma?

If you’ve filed your Application for Advanced Degree and passed your final class(es), your diploma will arrive in the mail at the address you listed on the Application for Advanced Degree. Diplomas arrive in the following timeframe:

Spring Grads — late July

Summer Grads — mid-October

Fall Grads — mid-March

Winter Grads — late April

I might be moving before the diploma gets here. What do I do?

Log into UDSIS and change your diploma address as soon as you identify someone to receive it.

Concentration/Specialization FAQ

How do I declare my concentration/specialization?

You do not need to officially declare your concentration until graduation; although we suggest you meet with Andrea Hartman to be sure you are on the right track to earn the concentration you want.  See the concentrations page for more details.

Do I have to have a concentration/specialization?

No, you can choose six unrelated electives that suit your purposes.

Transferring Credits between Schools

I have been transferred to another city. How do I continue my MBA?

We can transfer up to nine credits of graduate-level coursework from other AACSB-accredited institutions. Those courses will become part of your UD transcript and will count toward your UD MBA. Contact Andrea Hartman to get more details.

I started my MBA at another school and got transferred to Delaware. How do I continue my MBA?

Depending on how many hours you’ve completed in your program, you can choose to either:

  • Transfer those credits to UD (if the original school is AACSB-accredited) or
  • Take classes here and transfer them back to the original school.

The above options are dependent on other variables, so conversations with Andrea Hartman, MBA Program Manager, and the MBA academic advisor at your original school are in order.

Personal Business

I am encountering a situation that will keep me from attending classes (family or personal illness, increased workload, unexpected travel, etc.) Free drop/add has passed. Now what do I do?

Inform your professors of your situation and ask for their advice. Because every situation is unique in timing and circumstance, there are no one-size-fits-all answers. Have a conversation with Andrea Hartman to explore possible options.

How do I file for a Leave of Absence (LOA)?

Send a brief email to mba-registration@udel.edu requesting a Leave of Absence you’re your full legal name and SID#. State the semester for which you are requesting leave and when you plan to resume (so that you can register for classes when you’re ready to return). If the situation does not resolve, you may simply request another leave for the next semester. There are no fees due while you are on LOA status.