All Lerner students will be using two important technologies in classes starting this Fall semester: Canvas and Zoom.
Canvas is the primary learning management system used by your professors and instructors for online classes.
Zoom is the preferred video conferencing and collaboration tool for UD staff, students, and faculty. Use your “udel.edu” email address to access your free Zoom Pro account. You can use Zoom to attend a live classroom, participate in virtual office hours with your instructor or meet with your peers for virtual study group sessions.
What is Canvas?
Canvas is a course management system used by your UD Lerner professors and instructors that supports online learning and teaching. It allows professors to post grades, information and assignments online. You will be using Canvas frequently during the semester.
How to Access Canvas:
- Go to sites.udel.edu/canvas/.
- In the menu bar at the top, go to “Log in to Canvas.”
- On the screen’s left side, log in using your USER ID or UD ID and password (you may need to enter two-factor identification).
- Once you log in, you will see a “card” for each of the courses in which you are enrolled with the course name and number. You can click on a card to access the Canvas course.
(If you do not see a class, it is possible that the instructor has not published it yet. All Lerner courses will use Canvas to share information. If you recently added a course, it may not be reflected in Canvas until the following day.)
Helpful Tips for Using Canvas:
- Within your Canvas course, you can submit assignments, participate in discussions, view grades and collaborate with other students. What is available in your class will depend on what has been implemented by your instructor. Most instructors will discuss the syllabus on the first day, highlighting the course structure, the Canvas page’s content and how to use the assignment features for submission.
- Bookmark the Canvas website sites.udel.edu/canvas/ in your browser because you will be viewing this website frequently.
More Canvas Resources:
- Canvas information: sites.udel.edu/canvas/help-for-students
- Free Canvas mobile app for iOS or Android that is specifically tailored to students: community.canvaslms.com/t5/Mobile/ct-p/apps
- List of Canvas-compatible browsers: community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/What-are-the-browser-and-computer-requirements-for-Canvas/ta-p/66
- Additional Canvas tutorials: community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/tkb-p/student
What is Zoom?
Zoom is the preferred video conferencing system and collaboration tool used by UD. It is used for live classes, live meetings and events. If you have synchronistic courses, you will likely be using Zoom to meet your instructor and fellow students. You will use Zoom to attend your class live (synchronistic) over the internet.
As a UD student, you have your personal Zoom account through your “udel.edu” email address. You can use it to attend a live classroom, participate in virtual office hours with your instructor, meet with your peers for virtual study group sessions and more.
How to Download Zoom for UD:
- Go to udel.zoom.us/download.
- Click on “Open the Zoom app” and sign on by clicking “Sign in with SSO.”
- Type in the company domain udel
- Click “continue” and a new web page will open.
- On the left side of the screen, log in using your USER ID or UD ID and password (you may need to enter two-factor identification).
How to Optimize Your Audio and Video:
- Click on the “Settings” icon at the top right of the screen.
- In the settings menu, click and select your camera from the drop-down menu.
- Then click to select and test your speaker and microphone.
- If you are using earphones or a headset, make sure they are plugged in before you join a meeting.
How to Join a Zoom Meeting:
- After you’ve installed Zoom, to join a meeting, click on the link your professor sends you.
- Follow these instructions to login: sites.udel.edu/ats/conferencing/zoom/login/.
- Use this link to access UD Zoom without downloading the app: https://udel.zoom.us/.
More Zoom Resources:
Zoom tutorials and mobile app information: Zoom Quickstart Guide for Students (PDF)
More Tips for UD Zoom: Zoom Student Guide (PDF)
Official Lerner Zoom backgrounds: my.lerner.udel.edu/support/communications/branded-materials
For More Information:
Contact your advisor, or consult these resources.
UD technical requirements: pcs.udel.edu/ud-online-technical-requirements
UD technical support: www1.udel.edu/it/index.html
UD online technical support email: email@example.com
Lerner College TechDeck: my.lerner.udel.edu/support/techdeck