MBA Course Waivers and Transfers
A significant academic background in business may qualify you for a course waiver, which can reduce the number of credits you need to earn a graduate business degree.
Course waivers are granted for certain courses only and may be granted when all of the following criteria are met:
- You have obtained a bachelor’s degree from an AACSB-accredited institution within the past five years.
- You have successfully completed at least 6 credits of undergraduate coursework in the related discipline with a grade of “B” or better in each course.
- Except as noted below, at least 3 of the above credits are in a course at the intermediate level.
All course waivers are subject to individual review and require the submission of syllabi for all non-UD courses. Meeting the above guidelines does not guarantee that a course waiver will be granted.
Students in the MBA program may have up to 12 credit of course waivers and 9 credit of course transfers. A minimum of 36 graduate credits must be taken at the University of Delaware.
Course Requirements for Waiver
|UD MBA requirement||UD Undergraduate courses that meet the requirement for waiver|
|ACCT 600 – Financial Reporting & Analysis||ACCT 207 and ACCT 208|
|BUAD 631 – Operations Management & Management Science||BUAD 306 and BUAD 346|
|BUAD 670 – Managing People, Teams & Organizations||BUAD 309 and either:
BUAD 384 Global Business Environment or
BUAD 386 International Business Management or
BUAD 420 Labor Relations or
BUAD 421 Human Resource Management or
BUAD 422 Designing Effective Organizations or
BUAD 423 Negotiation & Conflict Resolution or
BUAD 426 Leadership and Teams
|BUAD 680 – Marketing Management||BUAD 301 and either:
BUAD 302 Marketing Research or
Any 400-level marketing course
|ECON 603 – Economic Analysis for Business Policy||
ECON 101 and ECON 251 (prior to 11/15/20)
After 11/15/20, requirements changed to:
|FINC 650 – Financial Management||FINC 311 and either:
FINC 312 Intermediate Financial Management or
FINC 392 Seminar on International Financial Management
Under certain conditions, we may be able to accept graduate credit from other institutions:
- The institution must be AACSB-accredited;
- The class must carry a grade of B or better (not a B-); and
- The class must have been completed within the past five years.
Per University policy,
- Only 9 graduate credits may be transferred in.
- Credits are not transferred until the student has completed nine credits of graduate work at the University of Delaware.
- Only earned credits transfer, not earned grades.
- Courses must have been conducted over a ~14 week semester in order for all credits to transfer. Credits from schools on 10-week quarters will be transferred at 2/3 value.
- Students who wish to transfer credits to the University of Delaware must provide a course syllabus (not a course description) for each course being considered and official transcripts showing the courses and grades. You may need to contact your prior institution for copies of course syllabi.
Contact your advisor for additional details.
On-Campus MBA program advisor: Andrea Hartman, email@example.com.
Please come to your advising appointment prepared. Each appointment slot is 30 minutes. If you would like a Zoom appointment rather than in person, please indicate that in your request.