New Student Orientation

Please select from the two choices below:


New Student Orientation for Domestic Students OR International Student Orientation











New Student Orientation for Domestic Students

Math Placement Assessment
Must be completed one week prior to your NSO date. Please take this seriously! Failure to place in the appropriate math course could impact your ability to graduate in four years. For more information, go to and choose UD Math Placement from the Courses & Placement button.

Your Fall Semester Schedule
When you attend New Student orientation, you will meet with an advisor to select your Fall Semester courses.

Have AP, IB of College Credit?
Make sure to bring documentation with you to New Student Orientation. click on Transfer Credit Information.













International Student Orientation (ISO)

Task 1: Complete the online Mathematics Placement Assessment, ALEKS (more than once if you are not happy with placement).
All students are required to complete the Assessment before enrolling in classes. Visit your Blue Hen Home portal to access ALEKS. You will not be able to register for appropriate fall courses without your ALEKS score.


Task 2: Register for First Semester Classes
To register for classes, you will receive an email from your advisor:
Megan Kuck,


Task 3: Register for International New Student Orientation (ISO)
To register for ISO, log into your My Blue Hen Home portal and click on the “Register for New Student Orientation” link in your checklist. Once the registration form opens, read the instructions and, most importantly, select the listed date for ISO under the “Orientation Date” section. If you are unable to attend ISO, please select the option “Unable to Attend NSO” and a member of the New Student Orientation staff will email you with additional instructions.


Task 4: Set up and read your UD email regularly throughout the summer
Advisors and faculty members will utilize your UD e-mail account to provide you with important information. Please read your messages! You may access your e-mail from the UD homepage at or at


Task 5: Complete part 1 of and Haven
Links to these assessments are available through My Blue Hen Home. You will receive an e-mail when you are able to access part 2.


Task 6: Complete all the tasks listed on the Office for International Student and Scholars (OISS) website.


Frequently Asked Questions


What is ISO?  What if I cannot attend?
NSO (New Student Orientation)/ISO (International Student Orientation) is a one to two-day orientation to the University of Delaware. During this orientation you will learn about the becoming part of the UD student community, receive help registering for your first semester courses, and obtain your UD1 card (your student ID). If you have guests who will be attending ISO with you, please register them using the NSO Registration form.

If for some reason you cannot attend your NSO/ISO, you must contact as soon as possible.


How can I register for courses?  
Your academic advisor will be in contact with you during the summer before your ISO to help you construct the most effective and efficient schedule and answer any questions you may have. If you haven’t heard from your advisor feel free to send her an email and introduce yourself.

Your academic program can be very confusing to interpret and understand, so make sure to take advantage of the resources offered to you. Your academic advisor can explain your required course track to you and will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Once courses begin you may feel that you need to change your schedule. If so, speak with your advisor to devise the best plan of action for you as a student and for your academic curriculum.  Once the semester begins you will also be granted the ability to drop/add and swap courses from your schedule via your UDSIS account. However, for first semester students it is important that you speak with your advisor before altering your schedule in any way.


Where can I find my schedule?
You can find your semester academic schedule by logging on to your UDSIS account (on the University of Delaware homepage,, under the Quick Links option click on My UD, or, log on to and accessing the My Class Schedule option under the Academics heading.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your class schedule, please contact your academic advisor.


What are the requirements for my degree?
Degree requirements are explained in your curriculum guide.


Where can I purchase my textbooks?  
Log onto your UDSIS account ( and click on “my class schedule” on the upper right-hand corner; there is a ‘Find my textbooks’ link. This link will connect you to the University of Delaware bookstore (located on the corner of Academy Avenue and East Main Street) and pull up a customized textbook list based on the courses you are taking. You have the option to pre-order your textbooks via this link.

Your textbooks may also be available in Lieberman’s Bookstore located on East Main Street.  You may either walk in and locate and purchase your books off the shelves or pre-order your books via the Lieberman’s website.

You can either buy new, buy used, or rent many of your textbooks.  If you buy a new book, you will be the first owner. If you buy a used book, you will be purchasing a book that has previously been used by other students. If you rent a textbook, you will be required to return your textbooks to the bookstore at the end of the semester.

With new and used textbooks you have the option of selling them back to a bookstore after the semester is over. You do not need a receipt for this, and the money that you will receive from a buy-back will be significantly less than what you originally paid for the book, even if it was new. Most bookstores will buy back a book even if it was not originally purchased there.

Many textbooks are also switching over to electronic books, and these are usually cheaper than used or rented textbooks.  Not all textbooks have digital copies, so check with the bookstore.


What is an FYE?  Do I have to take an FYE?
An FYE (First Year Experience) is a required course for all first semester students. If you are enrolled in the Alfred Lerner College of Business and Economics, you will likely take BUAD 110 (Basics of Business), which is a three-credit course. If you are enrolled in any other college or are an undeclared student, you may have the option of enrolling in UNIV 101, which is a one-credit course. International students within Lerner College are strongly encouraged to enroll in the one-credit BUAD 167 course designed specifically for international students and complements the BUAD 110 requirement.


What is AlcoholEdu? What is Haven? Am I required to complete these programs?
AlcoholEdu and Haven are mandatory courses that all students must electronically complete. AlcoholEdu is an alcohol prevention program and Haven is a course designed for understanding sexual assault and for providing information on healthy relationships. For each course you will be required to finish Part 1 prior to the beginning of the semester, and after 30 days you will receive an e-mail instructing you how to begin Part 2.  If you do not complete both parts of AlcoholEdu and Haven by the required dates with an exam grade of 80% or better you will not be able to register for courses for the following semester.

Contact (AlcoholEdu) or (Haven) with any questions or concerns.


What is UDSIS?
UDSIS is an online resource for students to access their schedules, view their grades, sign up for classes, see who their assigned academic advisor is, check financial balances, see their meal plan, view their unofficial transcript, apply to drop or add a course, view campus housing, see any holds on their account, and much more.  Please familiarize yourself with this important resource. 


What is SAKAI? What is Canvas?
SAKAI is an internet resource that some or all of your courses may utilize.  Your professors may post the syllabus and other course resources on SAKAI, and you may also be responsible for posting blogs or web posts.  Your professors will tell you if they are planning on using SAKAI in their course and which functions you are expected to use.  Canvas works in much the same way as SAKAI, however some professors may prefer to use Canvas. You can read more about each online:


Whom can I talk to about changing my schedule/ completing my degree?  Where can I find my academic advisor?  
Contact your academic advisor (listed on the right hand side of your UDSIS homepage) before changing your schedule. Your academic advisor can provide you with information and answer all of your questions about the courses that you need to take in order to complete your degree.

A word to the wise: meet your academic advisor early on in your studies. If you regularly meet with your advisor and discuss your academic plan, she will be able to efficiently guide you and prevent any issues.


Dropping, withdrawing, Pass/Fail: what does it all mean?  How does this affect my visa status?  
It is in your best interest to meet with your academic advisor PRIOR to altering your schedule in any way.

Dropping a course means that you will no longer be enrolled in this course.  If done before the drop/add period is over, this course will not appear on your transcript as a dropped course.

Withdrawing from a class means that you are ‘dropping’ the course after the drop/add period is over. In order to withdraw from a class you will be charged a fine, and a ‘W’ will appear on your transcript in place of a grade.  Once you withdraw from a class you are no longer required to attend class.  You will receive neither a grade for the course nor the credits.

Pass/Fail means that you are not taking the course for a grade, rather just to pass.  Before you elect to take a course pass/fail you should speak with your advisor.  Pass/fail should be chosen if you fear that the course could severely hurt your GPA. However, if you take a class pass/fail it will only count as a free elective and will not count for any group requirements for your major or any of your major classes.  For example, you cannot take any core classes as pass/fail.  In the event that you and your advisor find it optimal to take a required course pass/ fail, you will need to retake the course for a grade.  If you pass a pass/fail course it will in no way affect your GPA, but if you fail a pass/fail course your GPA will be negatively affected.

This information is particularly important for international students. In order to maintain the status on your visa, you must be a full-time student during the regular Fall and Spring Semesters. To be a full-time student you must be enrolled in 12 or more credits per semester. If you drop or withdraw from a class and fall below the 12 credit mark, you will no longer be a full-time student and your visa will no longer be valid. In order to make sure that you maintain your visa status, be proactive in your education and speak with your academic advisor before you change your schedule.


What is a good course load to take?  
In order to be a full-time student and maintain the status of your visa, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester. Most first year students enroll in either 4 or 5 courses per semester.  Maintain a healthy working relationship with your advisor and be honest if the course load is too challenging for you. Your advisor will be able to direct you to academic resources, or, if necessary, alter your course schedule.


What do the different course sections mean? Which courses are held on the Newark campus?
The first four characters (e.g. ECON, FINC, CHEM, ENGL, BUAD, etc.) indicate the subject of the course as well as the department that facilitates the course. The next three characters are numerical, and indicate the course number (e.g.ECON 103). The final three numerical characters indicate the section number for the course (e.g. ECON 103 010). For an explanation of section numbers, click here.

Unless studying abroad or enrolled in an honors program you should plan to only take courses whose section numbers end with 010 to 069 and that are held on main campus (Newark). An exception to this is when you will take ENGL 110, a requirement for all undergraduate students. As an international student, you will need to enroll in a section that falls between 120-124 because these sections are for non-native speakers of English.


Where are my classroom buildings? How can I get to class?
Your classroom assignments are listed on your student schedule (found under the My Class Schedule on your UDSIS homepage). You can click on this building abbreviation and room number, and it will bring up the building highlighted on the campus map. If you are looking for a specific building, you may search via the online maps.

In addition to walking to class, many students take advantage of bicycles and the University of Delaware bus shuttle bus system. You can shop for a used bike via UD classifieds. Purchase at your own risk. The UD shuttle bus system is a free service available to all University of Delaware students. Busses run to both on-campus and off-campus stops and are available continuously throughout the day.  For more information and schedule routes and times, click here.


Where is the library? When is it open? How do I check out books? How do I print/ photocopy?
The Morris Library is located at 181 South College Avenue. It is open from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. It is open from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Fridays, 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Saturdays, and 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Sundays.

There is an eating establishment on the first floor of the library, Bleecker Street, and although the eatery holds limited hours, the library commons area is open for students to use 24/7.
In order to check out books you will need your UD1 card. There is no limit to the number of books that you can check out of the library.

You will also use the flex account connected to your UD1 account to pay for printing and photocopying after you deplete the dollar amount credited to your account from the university. This dollar amount is only good for printing and cannot be used for copying. You can confirm printing and copying charges by visiting the library’s website and/or speaking with a librarian.

If you have any questions about any of the services located in the library, there are numerous librarians and library staff who will gladly assist you.

There are also auxiliary printing and photocopying locations around campus. Pearson Hall, McDowell Hall, Smith Hall, and the Student Multimedia Design Center in the library all have printing/ photocopying capabilities and all accept Flex payments.


What is a hold? How do I get rid of it?  
A hold is a suspension placed on your account. This hold will prevent you from selecting courses for the following semester. You can have a hold placed onto your account due to not being up-to-date with your finances, immunizations, or AlcoholEdu or Haven programs.

In order to remove the hold, you need to contact Student Financial Services regarding a financial hold, Student Health Services regarding an immunization hold, and either complete the AlcoholEdu and/or Havenprograms or contact (AlcoholEdu) or (Haven) with any questions you may have.


Can I have an internship?
As an international student you do have the opportunity to participate in an internship. However, you are responsible for maintaining all of your legal papers. You will need to contact the Office for International Students and Scholars regarding internship permission.


What if my written English needs help?
If your written English needs help, you should take advantage of the University Writing Center. It is located in the basement of Memorial Hall, and it is available to all university students. There are specialists to look over papers and provide valuable tips and suggestions for improving your writing, and these specialists are trained to assist non-native speakers of English.


What GPA do I need to maintain to keep my scholarship?
All scholarships are different. For information about your scholarship, you must contact Student Financial Services.


What is academic probation?  How do I get off academic probation?
You will be placed on academic probation if your GPA falls below a 2.0.  Students on Academic Probation cannot register for more than 12 credits.  If you are on academic probation, you need to speak with an advisor before Fall and Spring Semester registration.

In order to get off academic probation you will need to raise your GPA to a minimum of a 2.0.  You will not receive your diploma if you are on Academic Probation.


Where am I going to live?
As a first year student you are required to live on campus in a residence hall, and your living community will be comprised of other freshman students. These residence halls are co-ed by floor, wing, or by alternating room. You will most likely have one or more roommates, and your roommates may be international students like you or domestic students. Regardless of where you live you will be provided a single bed, a wardrobe/closet, a dresser with drawers, a desk, and a chair.

For more information about housing arrangements, move-in procedures, and to check your housing assignment, click here.


Who is going to be my roommate?
Your roommate(s) will be assigned by the university. Your roommate(s) will be matched with you according to the ‘Roommate Preferences’ online form that you must complete. Your roommate assignment will be available online during the first week of August.

Where am I going to live over Thanksgiving break and other university closings?
The University closes for Thanksgiving break and the weeks between the end of Fall Semester and the beginning of Winter Session. During these breaks you will be required to vacate your residence hall room.

In order to stay on campus over Thanksgiving break you will need to sign up for special break housing, and you will be relocated to north campus if you do not already live there.  You will be provided more information about applying for permission to stay over Thanksgiving break as the semester progresses.

You will be able to remain on campus during university closings for a daily fee. You will be provided more information about applying for permission to stay as the semester progresses.


Where am I going to eat?  How does my meal plan work?  
All students who live on campus are required to have a meal plan.  In order to use your meals, points, or flex, you will simply use your UD1 card.
You can use meals to eat in any of the four campus all-you-care-to-eat dining halls: Rodney Dining Hall, Russell Dining Hall, Pencader Dining Hall, and Kent Dining Hall. 


What if I get sick?
As an international student you are required to either purchase health insurance through the university or provide proof of having your own health insurance.  With this insurance you will be granted access to the University’s Student Health program.  The Student Health Building is located on central campus and can help you with any ailments or injury you may have.  There is also a dispensary and a gynecological service housed in the Student Health Building.  In the event of an emergency you should call 911. 


Are there student clubs that I can join? 
There are tons of student clubs that you can join! Joining a club is a great way to meet many new people and have a more well-rounded college experience.  There are so many Registered Student Organizations, that there’s something for everyone! Clubs can be co-curricular, sports-based/ intermural organizations, sororities/ fraternities, service organizations, but no matter which type they are, they are all just plain fun!


Will I be safe?  
The University of Delaware campus is monitored by video surveillance systems, covered with blue light emergency phone stations, and regularly patrolled by University of Delaware Police Officers and Student Police Aides.

There is a free walking escort program offered by the University of Delaware Police Officers and Student Police Aides, so if for any reason at all you feel unsafe walking on campus at night, simply call (302) 831-2222 or call via a blue light emergency phone. These aids are also present on the UD shuttle busses during late-night hours for your safety.


Where can I exercise?
In addition to enjoying the great outdoor scenery that the University of Delaware and the surrounding areas have to offer, there are also three on-campus fitness centers.  The largest and most popular exercise location is The Hen House (located in the Bob Carpenter Sports Building – fondly called “The Little Bob”).  Students also have access to the Harrington Fitness center and the Independence Student Center.
In order to enter the fitness establishment you must present your UD1 card. You must place your books and bags in a designated area because they are prohibited in the exercise area. There is a dress code for entering the gym: you must wear a full t-shirt, and no open-toed shoes or jeans are permitted. No food or drink is permitted in the facilities; however, plastic water bottles are allowed. If you have any questions about the practices or policies of the fitness facilities or about any workout program or specific exercise, do not hesitate to ask a member of the staff. 

How do the UD shuttle busses work?  
The UD shuttle busses are free transportation on and around campus for all University of Delaware students. The busses run from early in the morning until late at night at regular intervals. To find the bus stop locations nearest you, please click here.


How do I get a bicycle?
The best way to purchase a used bicycle (there are stores on Main Street if you are interested in buying a new bicycle) is via UD classifieds. This is a web posting site for all types of goods and services within the University of Delaware community. Students often sell and purchase old furniture and used bicycles, and many students submit announcements about housing and job opportunities. This website requires a UD log-in (the same username and password that you use for your e-mail, UDSIS and SAKAI), but you must use your best judgment and purchase at your own risk. 


What is my UD1 card?  What do I use it for?
Your UD1 card is the most important form of identification you will have as a student while on campus.  Your UD1 card is linked to your meal plan (including points), your Flex account, your personal account (for instance, if you purchase something at the university bookstore and charge it to your account), and perhaps your bank card if you opt in to the PNC service offered for students (located in the Trabant Student Center).  You will use your UD1 card daily, so take good care of it.  If you lose your card or need a replacement card, you must contact (302) 831-CARD (2273) immediately.


Where can I work?
Your visa status determines if you can work while in the United States and what type of work you are permitted to do.  If you are interested in an employment opportunity you must contact the Office for International Students and Scholars (

If you have an F1 status you are permitted to work 20 hours per week on-campus during the Fall and Spring semesters and full-time during the school’s official breaks.  If you would like to or are required to incorporate an internship into your academic curriculum, you must talk with your advisor and the Office for International Students and Scholars.

It can be very overwhelming to be away from your friends and family in a strange, new place, and on top of all that stress, you will also be dealing with an increase work load for all of your courses.  That’s a lot!  In order to help you deal with the major changes in your life, the University of Delaware offers a free mental health service to all students.

If you feel that counseling is a resource that you would like to take advantage of, simply contact the Center for Counseling and Student Development (; 302-831-2141). You will be screened by one of the many highly qualified and trained professionals, and together you will devise an appropriate plan of action to achieve your goals.
Counseling is nothing to be ashamed of. By the time they graduate, 1 out of 4 UD students has taken advantage of the counseling services. Help is here; you just need to ask for it!